The first set of questions that I asked were in reference to finances; which I believe everyone has a right to know, even people who aren't current members now, but that might be considering attending JRA's Jesus Revival Ministries in the future. I'm trying to be objective in this letter and allow him to address the questions that we might have. We've all been burned really bad in the ntcc; and James Ross Ashmore was a high ranking Board Member of that group that we all respected. I held JRA in very high regard even after getting out and during part of the time that I was blogging until some really bad allegations came out against him; at which time we started blogging about him.
Some very good friends who we respect a lot have recently suggested that we should not be so hard on him; because he, much like us, was also under the same brainwashing just at a higher level. We see a major difference. Ashmore had been a Board member of NTCC since it's inception in 1987 and was a Board Member of NTCC's predecessor, NTCG, since 1975. Basically Ashmore became the Secretary Treasurer of NTCG, replacing L.G. Parsons, presumably after allegations of Davis having an affair with Parson's wife caused a split in which the bible school relocated to 2170 Forest Ave. Since Ashmore was such a heavy hitter for NTCG/NTCC, and was privy to much more info than us average church schlubs, we have a very hard time with this simplistic brainwashing theory. Ashmore helped mold these organizations, sitting on the Boards and giving his approval to their doctrines and actions. As a result of his and other Board Members' actions (or lack thereof) most of us have paid very high prices for our ntcc experience.
Additionally, from all accounts, James Ross Ashmore has profited financially and seems to be very well off in his new church. This is remarkable when compared to the commonplace poverty endured by other long-time ntcc ministers. At any rate, I wanted to invite him to answer questions that I have and also any questions that you might have. I would appreciate it if people refrained from name calling for the purpose of being objective. If any of James Ashmore's current members or current supporters would like to say anything in his defense, they are also welcome to do so. I realize that I have been one of his biggest critics; and I have sided on our blog with people that have accused him of some pretty bad things.
In the second section of this letter I have asked him questions relating to the alleged misconduct that others have brought forth and these allegations are concerning Moreno, Lisa Norton and Lori Kelley, Kenneth McPherson and Julie St. Clair. I'm using maiden names because the incidents that involved these people happened a long time ago and the alleged involvement of James Ashmore occurred during that time period. It's been shared that you can't expect someone to go public about things that could implicate them in what may be considered criminal activity, but David did, and he was King of Jerusalem and God allowed him to keep his office. Perhaps if James Ashmore is sincere, God will do the same for him if he admits that he had a part in any of these incidents. My guess is that Ashmore probably won't address any of this. I would hope that he would address at the very least the first six questions that have to do with financial transparency. I feel that because of his position in the ntcc, which he refers to as "The Whore", he owes at least some honesty and transparency to the people who once followed him and believed in him in the ntcc. If anyone else has any questions for him they are welcome to ask in the comment section; however, I would not be surprised if he does not answer. I do want folks to consider that James Ashmore is now holding church services in a building that has a present real estate value of close to 1.5 million dollars and appears to be living in a very nice house which most likely is in an expensive area in San Diego, which is more of an educated guess on my part just from what I've seen from his Facebook videos recorded inside his house and the places he's filmed teaching. Is this wrong? I believe that he should be open about it with the people he formerly profited off of and with his current followers and members. The letter I wrote to him is verbatim as follows:
| We sent a message to James Ashmore's Commentary on |
Facebook asking for some simple answers. Feel free to
add your questions about why he left NTCC and started
his own group that he calls Jesus Revival Ministries.
Hello, just a friendly letter to say congratulations for leaving the ntcc, but after what we all went through it's pretty hard to believe that you have changed. I think it's great that you seem to have had a change of heart on the holiness movement which seemed more to be a doctrine of control than an indicator of faithfulness. By the way, this is Don and I'm sure you've heard of our blog and much of what we blog about. We run a blog to help folks that have been hurt by the ntcc. He have blogged about you extensively and I'm sure that is no secret either. We have close friends that have recently told us that you have changed and that we should not include you when we blog about the ntcc. Up until now, we have been very vocal about you because of the testimonies of not one or two or three witnesses but more than that. Some of the things that you were allegedly responsible for in the ntcc were terrible and definitely not Christ like. I understand that people can repent and that people can change and I would like to believe that about you and Helen, but I have seen no evidence of change. I have been telling folks that if you changed that they would see that change. We all were burned by the ntcc. We gave of our time, money and sweat until we had nothing else to give and we did it as unto the Lord, for nothing in return. Many were kicked to the curb and never visited one time after they left. Many paid their tithe faithfully and were loyal to every church function, every fellowship meeting and every conference but God forbid that we should ever ask or know where our money went. I'm trying to convince people that they should exercise caution before jumping on board with you because I don't see any difference. I want to give you a chance to answer if you will. I'm pretty sure you will just discount everything I say and chalk it all up to the devil and handle this in the same way that the ntcc would handle it.
I have to ask you a few questions and I hope you would answer them honestly before I am willing to believe that you changed at all, (which probably isn't much of a concern to you, but I thought I'd try anyway). The questions that I'm asking should not offend you if everything is right between you and Jesus. In the ntcc everything was done secretively and without transparency and we were all burned. I'm hoping that you are willing to be open and honest about these topics. If you do decide to answer any of these questions please give real answers and don't tap dance. Just answer them straight up. We think people have a right to know and a lot of our readers believe that they have a right to know also. Thank you.
1. Do you believe in or teach people to pay tithes? If you do, what New Testament Scripture do you use to justify it.
2. Do you believe that people have a right to know where their tithe dollars go after being burned for so long in the ntcc?
3. Do you believe that a preacher of the gospel has a moral obligation to be financially transparent?
4. If your church members are paying for your church rent and your home expenses, do they have a right to know how much of their money is going to support you?
5. Are you willing to go public with the financial information that we have asked you about so that former ntcc members that might be considering joining your church can trust you? We believe that a church leader's supporters should know how much money they spend at restaurants, while they sacrifice and budget their grocery bills to pay offerings and tithe to the church. They should know how much of their money goes into your transportation costs while they budget themselves to drive around in oil puking junkers to support their church leaders. They should know how much they are paying for your home and your church while they sacrifice to pay for their church leaders to live the good life. The ntcc leadership has always been secretive and they get very sensitive when you ask about where money goes.
6. Why is it that your blog is private? Shouldn't people that might be considering joining your church have access to the things you teach? Why the shroud of secrecy?
The above questions should be public information and should be available to anyone who attends your church especially if you are being supported by your church members. The following questions are for the victims of abuse that have reported you on our blog. We feel that they have the right to ask you these questions. If it were one or maybe two, I would consider that possibly they could have been lying, but there are too many that have come forward. Below is a list of questions pertaining to the more serious accusations.
1. Did you sexually abuse Julie in any way, did you touch her inappropriately, did you do anything that might be construed as sexual in nature? If you did, did you repent and ask God to forgive you and are you willing to attempt to make things right with Julie?
2. Were you involved in any way in the Phil Kinson Cover up that took place in Japan? Were you sent there to reprimand Roland Moreno or his Family in any way? Did R.W. Davis or Kinson or anyone tell you that Phil Kinson had Roland Moreno drive him to a whore house to retrieve his wallet? This incident resulted in one of the greatest tragedies in ntcc history. If you do admit to this, did you repent and ask Jesus to forgive you?
3. Did you do anything or say anything to Lisa Norton and Lori Kelly to run them off after Johnny Jordan got Lisa pregnant and R.W. Davis moved Johnny and Pam to Graham? Lisa and Lori both claimed that you called them sluts and whores from behind the pulpit after Davis influenced Barbara Norton to abandon Lisa and her special needs brother around Christmas time. If you did have a part in this did you repent? Did you ask God to forgive you and did you do anything to make this right with Lisa and Lori?
4. Did you know that Ken McPherson was raped by Johnny Jordan? Did you allow two confessing homosexuals to attend different churches while trying to run Ken out of the church? Ken says that he could do nothing right and that you criticized him and asked him to just leave the church, while people like Batson and Peters were protected by you. If you did treat Ken unfairly in anyway, did you repent and make it right with God or attempt to make it right with Ken?
Finally just between you and me, do you really believe in the blood moon doctrine that Meinecke is talking about? It hasn't been until very recently that people started calling Harvest moons, blood moons. He said that this past blood moon was the third of four and I looked it up and it's really the first of four, but to use something like a harvest moon to convince people that it's the end of times seems to be a stretch even for you.
Note To Our Readers:
Don't be misled by some who try to act like they know when the coming of the Son of Man will be. Jesus plainly stated that only the Father in heaven knows that:
But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. Mat 24:36 KJV here
But of that day and [that] hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Mar 13:32 KJV here
Don't Fear Those Presumptuous Prophets:
When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that [is] the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, [but] the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. Deu 18:22 KJV here